Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)   Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Contact us info@audiomixingplatform.com

FORUMS

Author Topic: iPad Control  (Read 5499 times)

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
Re: iPad Control
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2017, 10:48:07 PM »
Hey Bob,

I have searched all my backups and can't find either the Amp midi control template or the MidiDesigner template I created. Unfortunately it was almost a year before I inquired again after starting it and nothing had been done. Now it has been over a year and a half since then. I'm going to let it go as I can't see spending the time relearning and rewriting all of it. I don't think many are looking for iPad control anyway...

Brett
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:55:03 PM by brettbrandon »

jlepore

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
Sadly, not true.   I miss the ability to be able to be on deck to do monitors. I actually used a CL5 this weekend instead of the AMP rig because I knew I wasn't going to have enough time to get the band going without being able to be up there.  I haven't found a cheap tablet with a large enough screen.  I tried a 7.?" screen and it was not where near workable.

I was holding out hope the web interface would be usable, but without EQ control, it's fairly useless to me.

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2017, 04:24:15 AM »
Joe,

I was designing this with the intention of being used with a controller or PC. Kind of like replacing a BCR to control the parameters when used with BCF's. The iPad app isn't capable of receiving scribble strip type data. There would be no way to tell what channel or mix you were on if you change it from the iPad.
I'd be curious if there have been any new apps with more capability. I haven't checked them out in over two years.
I have previously used MIDI Designer, Midi Studio Pro, and DAW remote with sac. The latter two come with templates for quite a few programs including Logic, Cubase, and Hui/Pro Tools.
I'll have to take a look and see whats out there...

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2017, 05:32:12 AM »
Hey Joe, where you going with that iPad in your hand?

Just had a look...
Not very promising. I saw no new useable new apps and the app "DAW Remote" I still have but will not even open in IOS11 (no longer in the app store as well).
I just tried Midi Studio Pro using the Hui template both in AMP and the iPad. It gives you Volume, Pan, Mute, Solo, Select, and that's about it. No Eq, Dyn, ect. I should probably report as a bug that when I was adjusting the volume on the iPad, both the slider and the data window followed in the mixer wdl. In the Channel wdl, the data window followed the iPad, but the volume slider did not.

mattseymour

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2017, 07:38:01 AM »
Dare I say it... Amp probably needs an iPad or android app. Iíve tried to use a windows tablet and just canít get on with it. As Iíve commented before the touch in Amp on Windows is not really usable. If thatís fixed then with the right wdl files it could be fine but right now pretty much every desk manufacturers iPad app is better for usability on stage.

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2017, 12:43:55 AM »
You said it.... But I would have to agree.
I spent about a year with some bands controlling sac from an iPad app "MIDI Studio Pro", using RTPMidi, Bomes Midi Translator, and a AutoHotkey script that I created to access pretty much all the functions including dynamics, eq, effects, ect. Then they dumped sac and went with Behringer X32 Racks. The first thing I noticed was a massive increase in clarity. It was almost like someone pulled the pillows out from in front of the tweeters... Their sac systems were RME cards connected digitally to ADA80000 preamps.
I got very used to the X32 iPad app. They supplied an iPad mini for the FOH engineer, but I always brought my own 2 iPads. The first iPad always had my money channels showing. The second would have another eight channels showing or used for dyn, eq, adjustments ect. The iPad mini that was supplied was used for tap tempo and other effect changes.
The X32 lets you record the main out as a stereo wav file. This was mixed live from iPads...

http://www.brettbrandon.com/audio/CarWash-UptownFunk.mp3

The few Windows tablets I have messed with are a joke compared to the response of an iPad......
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:56:07 AM by brettbrandon »

mattseymour

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »
Oooh that's a nice tight rhythm section.

It could be the web interface can be expanded to do what's needed, has the advantage of avoiding app stores etc, it would be interesting to know what Bob's plans are for this.

I agree, windows tablets are hopeless. The x32 app is also really usable.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 03:39:17 PM by mattseymour »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »
Actually, I've found some windows tablets that have been pretty decent.  We have made some recent mods that seem to have helped a bit.  Also, using the View Groups to reduce having to scroll back and forth is a definite help.

Bob

mattseymour

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
Good to know. Having the touch issue fixed would certainly make it much more usable.

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »
First off, I am not a big fan of Apple products... Mostly from how you are forced into the Bob L's train of thought, it's my way, or the highway. :-\

The big difference I see is that the iPad was designed from the ground up as a touch device including the operating system.
Until Microsoft writes a operating system for tablets from scratch, they won't ever come close to the iPad's response. They are trying to patch a system to do something it was not designed to do. Not only is it the operating system, the iPad has almost twice the resolution compared to windows tablets I have seen. That gives them more pixels to tell what the finger is doing...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:48:18 PM by brettbrandon »

mattseymour

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »
There is an issue with touch in AMP Gui though. If you try using something like Presonus UC Surface on both an iPad and a windows tablet there isn't a lot of difference in the experience. I prefer using an iPad to a windows tablet any day, but if the touch issue in AMP is fixed it would at least be more usable.

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2017, 11:30:58 PM »
If Windows and Bob can get the tablet response even close to the iPad, at that point, I would take the tablet over the iPad for AMP. The iPad requires an app specific for the program or you can configure a midi controller app to do things, but an iPad can only have one window active at a time. On the tablet, you would have full access to the gui with whatever windows you need open and directly accessible...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:54:36 PM by brettbrandon »