Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: iPad Control  (Read 17559 times)

brettbrandon

iPad Control
« on: July 27, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »

I just started messing around with creating control windows on an iPad app for the Dynamics, EQ, ect.
This app uses standard midi messages but I don't know what is required on AMP's end.
What sort of template would I use to access those controls? I tried the BCR template but I don't think that is standard midi. The app's learn function is seeing no midi message.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iPad Control
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:49:27 PM »

Actually, it is standard MIDI.. Just using a bunch of CC messages, starting at 0, and working up to just past 100 I think.  Make sure you have the midi "port" tied to a channel strip wdl.  You should get data every time you change the active channel.

brettbrandon

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 11:03:17 PM »

Here's what I have.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 11:08:08 PM »

Looks good, except you might be on an old GUI.. 0.9.0 is decades... of hours.. old! lol!  Serially, make sure you grab the latest from the files area.  There may have been a bug with the initial 0.9.0 with regards to the midi channel strip, can't recall exactly.  It was one of the most recent mods.

You can also test this by using the Midi Yoke midi ports (from the same people that make MidiOx), and run MidiOx on the outputs to see what it is sending.

Bob

brettbrandon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »

Just tried again with updated files and no luck...

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:41:16 PM »

Brett, do you have the Midi Yoke?  Or do you have any midi interface that has LEDs for input and output data, so you can see if anything is being transmitted?

Does the BCF template give you data?

brettbrandon

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 11:56:08 PM »

Still getting nothing.
Tried the Gate Threshold.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:31:56 AM by brettbrandon »

brettbrandon

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »

I don't know if it makes a difference but using this app with sac I had to use the "MidiCtrl_GeneralMidi_Mixer" template. The Mackie template would not work.

brettbrandon

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 12:45:29 AM »

This is what I get for a midi message reading the control from the iPad.

Using a different app and using the HUI/Pro Tools template, I can move things in AMP but they don't line up with what they should be. This just shows that communication is happening, just not in the right language....

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 03:17:41 AM »

Ok, that's showing that you are indeed getting data!  I guess now you have to figure out how to either set the message it should use in their code, or modify the AMP template to fit the message it wants to see.

brettbrandon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »

I'm thinking to modify the amp code so any basic controller can access it.
The thing is, I don't know much of anything about how to do it.
Bomes Midi Translator has always detected midi data no matter what template (sac). I can't get it to detect anything....

RBIngraham

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »

In MIDI Ox you might have a MIDI feedback loop happening there.  Try unchecking the box that automatically connects Input Ports to Output Ports in the MIDI Set Up Dialog.

brettbrandon

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 12:42:02 AM »

That could be, I just set that up per Bob's suggestion. I don't actually use it.
I'm using RTPmidi to go between AMP and the iPad. I would like to keep it to that and not use Bomes MIDI Translator.

If I can get a template of just standard midi messages for the controls, I should be able to line up the controls on the iPad app to match the template.

This is what I have for the Dynamics section....

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »

Hey Brett,

So what happens now when you move a given widget on the ipad app?  What data is it sending?

Bob

brettbrandon

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 01:04:17 AM »

Here's a screenshot from Bomes reading the Gate on/off button from the iPad.
In the iPad app, I can use continous controllrs, midi notes, all kinds of midi messages assigned to the buttons and such.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4