Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)   Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Contact us info@audiomixingplatform.com

FORUMS

Author Topic: multi track recording reliability  (Read 204 times)

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AMP Stuff on RBI Sound Site
multi track recording reliability
« on: March 17, 2019, 03:12:27 AM »
Have a show running right now I'm thinking about recording to an external USB 2 hard drive.  Any concerns I should be worried about?  I haven't used the recording functionality so just wondering about stability, any catches or common issues I should look out for?  Etc...
Richard B. Ingraham

mattseymour

• View Profile
Re: multi track recording reliability
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:24:31 PM »
I've tended to record to an internal disk and copy the files afterwards, but I have recorded straight to a USB HD without issue. It would be interesting to do a stress test and exceed the available bandwidth, if you can. Worst thing that should happen is the recording stops.

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 12:30:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  For better or worse I have fairly small SSDs in my Host machines and most of my GUI machines as well actually.  It's enough space for when I use them for a playback machine but I doubt I have enough spare room for upwards of 50 channels for two plus hours.  And I don't want to find out what happens when the C drive gets full mid show.  :-)

I could probably hook up an eSATA port and go that route as well.  Keep the USB bus from screwing things up.
Richard B. Ingraham

mattseymour

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »
In principle it should be absolutely fine. The amount of data being moved is relatively small, and well within what USB2 should be able to handle.

jlepore

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 01:00:42 AM »
I also have never tried recording directly to the external drive, but using internal it has been rock solid.  Never even think about it running.

jeremyjo

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 08:20:05 PM »
In case you're interested, I've been using the Two-Track recorder in the GUI - it records two outputs in 16-bit (AMP sample rate) format. It's been great for, well, a Two-Track for me to review after live mixing and just hear did I miss cues? whats the general blend etc. Lately I've recorded several musicians monitor mixes so they could hear themselves after a gathering - pretty revealing (especially when I played...er tried to play bass - Oh man I needed more practice).

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 05:40:21 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I knew about that.  But it's always good for a refresh.

I'm not really all that interested in two track mixes however.  If I'm going to do it, I would want a full multi-track mix that I can use for training of students on how to mix musical theatre.  Right now I only have one such show to do that with and I'd like to have some new options since the one I do have is a concert (mics on stands, not lavs)  rather than full production.

I ended up not pulling the trigger this time around till I can test it out recording to an external drive.  Or just throw in a big spinner to the host machine for recordings maybe.  I could probably just set up an eSATA port and that's just like an internal drive.
Richard B. Ingraham