Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: OT Dante Linux question  (Read 891 times)

gilnavarro

OT Dante Linux question
« on: October 03, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »

Iím moving most of my live recoding and post recording audio stuff to Linux. I find that AVLinux just runs way smoother on my machines and there are some great DAWs that run well on it like Reaper and Mixbuss. Some great plugins too like Overtone DSP. I can also get some Windows plugs to work through WINE.
I bought a Dante card from Bob, and I know there isnít any native Linux support (one company offers it but I donít have their card), but Iíve been reading about interoperability with the AES67 protocol.
Just reaching out to see if anyone has any type of experience with Dante and Linux.

JeremyJo

Re: OT Dante Linux question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:24:49 AM »

Oh boy! if only. At one time I inquired with Audinate about it and they said if I wanted to pay for it they'd build it. So far, Bob hasn't offered to couch up the $10,000 (IIRC) to have Audinate spin a Linux driver :(

Maybe we AMPCrowdFund it? :)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 03:47:36 AM »

There is some interesting development on this front.  Linux is not far off!  Especially with going in the direction of Networked Audio. 

Bob

RBIngraham

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 10:01:27 PM »

Are you just thinking the Host would run on Linux and the GUI would still be in Windows?  Or both would move to Linux?

gilnavarro

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 07:25:43 PM »

Not a request, but Iíd love to use AMP with a Linux machine. I do all of my recording/playback/external fx, break music from Linux machines. Always stable for me. Using Linux Mint with real-time kernel. (More user friendly for me than AV)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 02:04:21 AM »

The AMP GUI currently runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.  Yes, we actually have these versions, and they are native!  We have a few more things to work out before they are ready for deployment, but I currently have a Raspberry PI running the GUI!

We will be porting the host to the Linux platform.  That work has already been started.  We do however have a stable Windows IOT platform that is current.

It's exciting times!

Bob

gilnavarro

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:13:12 AM »

Bob, Iíd love to test the Linux GUI.

RBIngraham

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 09:14:57 PM »

Guess I'll be making some dual boot systems then at some point.  Brace yourselves then because I'm sending all my tech support requests to figure out Linux to you guys.  :-)

Windows iOT sounds interesting but that seems more like you want to sell people systems, which then makes AMP more akin to a hardware mixing console unless I'm missing something.  That's probably a good idea from the standpoint of selling product. 

I guess I'd just hate to see the ability for cash poor organizations to get themselves a modest PC, some second hand ASIO interfaces (almost all my high channel count stuff I got second hand on eBay)  and have themselves a very powerful mixing console for the cost of a couple X32s.  I'm sure over time the Dante stuff will continue to drop but even with the most affordable hardware a Dante based system with a higher channel count (ex.  64 inputs)  is going to cost more than a couple of lower priced desks and you're likely half way to the cost of mid priced Yamaha.  Hopefully soon that Dante gear will start to show up on eBay more than once in a blue moon.  :-)

gilnavarro

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 10:36:37 AM »

RME makes a Dante to usb interface:
http://www.rme-audio.de/products/digiface_dante.php

Iím guessing this usb will be recognized and useable with Linux. Iím curious if AMP can still control the preamp gains on the TIO boxes with a usb connection?

RBIngraham

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 10:59:37 AM »

RME makes a Dante to usb interface:
http://www.rme-audio.de/products/digiface_dante.php

Iím guessing this usb will be recognized and useable with Linux. Iím curious if AMP can still control the preamp gains on the TIO boxes with a usb connection?

As far as I can tell none of the current RME product line has Linux drivers and I couldn't find any info that says that they were working on it.  Doesn't mean they won't.  Just means I have not seen or heard anything to indicate that this would be a priority for them.

Also this card is more expensive than the PCIe card.  Except for the fact that it would let you run the host on a small form factor computer I see little advantage.  To me this seems like a product for the Mac world that doesn't make a single computer with a card slot anymore.    Or for folks that just trust RME and their drivers more than they trust Audinate (not that I might not agree with them, RME has a strong track record).

I would suspect the Host could still talk directly to the TIO boxes as it does now?  Even if you are using a USB connection to get the Dante I/O to your computer you still will need that host on a network for the GUI connection.  Might as well just put it on the Dante network and then the host could communicate with the TIO boxes.  Or so I would expect.

gilnavarro

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »

Yeah, upon reexamination that was a dumb question.
The host connects to the box. The RME unit (if usb p&p), would allow me networked audio to and from FOH via laptop.