Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)   Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Contact us info@audiomixingplatform.com

FORUMS

Author Topic: Windows 10 Auto Updates  (Read 277 times)

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AMP Stuff on RBI Sound Site
Windows 10 Auto Updates
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:09:32 AM »
Starting a new thread, because I'm fussy like that...

So, just curious, do none of these methods actually keep Win 10 from updating itself?  I'll admit I have not bothered to try because as I mentioned it's not caused any issues for me.  But I would hope that some of these would work?

https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html
Richard B. Ingraham

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Auto Updates
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 05:06:49 AM »
I don't have Windows 10 or have any plan on using it for as long as possible but would definately check this out if I was...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/windows-10-lite/

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 05:19:05 AM »
I really don't know what I do or what others are doing that I am not that causes the issues though. 

I guess I'm just no guts no glory type of person.   :)

I literally updated all my Win 7 and 8 machines that were capable of running Win 10 as soon as it was available and I haven't looked back.  I can't remember s single time an update has screwed anything up for other than annoying me by having to wait longer for a restart at an inconvenient time.

I've never understood the whole I'm never going to update my machines things.  I mean I get it for things like an ATM.  But even my production computers that run shows I don't treat them like their an ATM. 

Oh well, to each their own.  I find Win 10 to be far better than working on older versions of Windows.  And when I have to go back to 7 or XP it drives me crazy.
Richard B. Ingraham

jeremyjo

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 11:19:17 PM »
I've had the same experience Richard. I'm really not sure what the major gripe is against Win10. I think it operates better than previous versions. I've had few real issues with it on several production machines. There ARE ways to prohibit updates now and the most current versions give you options to delay or stop them.

I DO see that Windows 7 seems more efficient for the host and I'm coming to terms with that. BUT, like it or not M$ WILL obsolete 7 soon and then what, really? Seriously.

IMHO it would be better to make use of the prevailing OS and and MAKE it work for us.  But I don't write the code...

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 11:16:26 PM »
I fully agree.  However, there is definitely a balance to be struck.  A software company I used to work for always liked to push stuff out that made use of the latest Window OS within months of the release of the OS update.  I always found that problematic because then they would cause issues for users that have not updated right away and since this was software used to run show critical operations, many users are slow to update, if at all until a computer dies.  So then they would have to go back and figure out what was broken with regards to the old OS.  Pushing users who are not ready to update is just as bad as dragging feet on supporting the latest OS.

Of course, we all remember how the "other Bob" wouldn't support the latest OS till someone dragging him kicking and screaming from his Windows XP machine.  That always seemed silly and foolish to me. 

Like it or not you have to make the code work with the latest OS as quickly as possible while still supporting previous operating systems.  It sucks but it's how the game is played.  And at some point it's perfectly fine to say well we're not supporting this particular out of date operating system any longer.  I've already seen some applications that have dropped Win 7 and only support 8 and 10.  It's rare but they are out there.  Many no longer support XP.

I also don't really care if my AMP host uses a few more percent of the CPU for the same number of channels.  It almost never seems to go above 50% use according to it's own meter.  And that's with my typical system in full use on a fairly modest computer by modern standards.   Unless there is performance hits that cause drop outs or require more latency to perform all the calculations, I don't see the big deal.

I've had the same experience Richard. I'm really not sure what the major gripe is against Win10. I think it operates better than previous versions. I've had few real issues with it on several production machines. There ARE ways to prohibit updates now and the most current versions give you options to delay or stop them.

I DO see that Windows 7 seems more efficient for the host and I'm coming to terms with that. BUT, like it or not M$ WILL obsolete 7 soon and then what, really? Seriously.

IMHO it would be better to make use of the prevailing OS and and MAKE it work for us.  But I don't write the code...
Richard B. Ingraham

jlepore

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:46:44 AM »
Unfortunately, there is no sure-fire way to disable auto updates.  I keep wifi off, mark all my connections as metered, and it still managed to download one and force restart the machine in the middle of recording a 2 hour show.  You can only defer so many times, and then it just does it without any regard to what's running or what hasn't been saved.

I avoid Win10 like the plague.

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
Unfortunately, there is no sure-fire way to disable auto updates.  I keep wifi off, mark all my connections as metered, and it still managed to download one and force restart the machine in the middle of recording a 2 hour show.  You can only defer so many times, and then it just does it without any regard to what's running or what hasn't been saved.

I avoid Win10 like the plague.

Interesting.  Sorry to hear you've had issues.  I guess the likely reason I don't have these issues is that I largely take time to run updates on my machines when they are not in use.  1st thing I do when I get a machine home is hook it up and search and install updates and it's often one of the last things I do before it's tested and packed up as well.  I just got in this habit years ago starting with Win XP.  So maybe that's why I have not been bitten yet?

I'm not saying your experience isn't valid Joe, just saying mine is very different from yours.  Guess I'll find out soon if I just got lucky or my methods are valid as I will be needing to get some newer machines soon and I suspect they will all be running Win 10 Pro.   Now that I say that I wonder if there is a difference between Win 10 Pro and Home?

Richard B. Ingraham

gilnavarro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 01:48:55 PM »
Iíve read that there is a difference specifically with regards to this topic but I donít remember exactly what. The consensus was for audio work you definitely want pro. Iím sure Joe can chime in about it.

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 11:35:14 PM »
The Pro version comes with what is called "Windows Update for Business".

"In Windows 10 Pro you get the option to defer updates, but this option doesn't really exist in Home. Microsoft forces patches and updates to Home machines automatically. You can stop them for a few hours, but that's it, even in the latest Creators Update.

The ability to defer is designed to prevent buggy updates from affecting business PCs, and updates can be put off for several months
."

jlepore

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 06:57:02 AM »
I do use Pro.  When it came out, they said if it was a domain connected machine, it would not force the updates to allow system administrators to coordinate when updates were allowed to be applied.  They got rid of that option at some point.

I do tend to try to find hours when there's nothing going on and let it run and do all of it's updates, but somehow I got bit by it downloading one that it decided not to apply right away, and it managed to do it during a show. I was only connected to my Dante network (so definitely no internet access) and it still decided to just do it and reboot while I was recording.