Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What's UP?!  (Read 999 times)

digitaloutput

What's UP?!
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:06:55 PM »

Hi everyone ...
haven't been around for quite a long time, so I was wondering,
can I use now vst plugins in AMP??? And does AMP takes advantage of
a multi thread processors and so on....

thanx ,
All the Best
NIk

RBIngraham

Re: What's UP?!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:07:19 PM »

Bob will always give the most up to date answers.  But it doesn't host VST to the best of my knowledge yet.  And I think the engine has always made use of multi thread in the CPU but I could be wrong.  It certainly is not like the other competitor where you would open up task manager and see one CPU core doing all the work and the others sitting mostly idle.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:55:57 PM »

The VST plugin support is still in the works, but we have priorities on a few other key items before release.

The main engine does happen in one thread, but all the other things (like gui communication) occur in other threads. Also, if you are using the dual engine mode, that will run two parallel cores so that you donít take up any more significant cpu time.

Bob

digitaloutput

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:13:48 PM »

Great!

Can't wait to see VST plugins running in the software.
Hope all the waves plugins will work + the ones that have latency!

Also, how many cores can the program utilize?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 09:59:58 PM »

AMP has lots of stuff going on simultaneously that use other available cores, but the main processing engine uses one core, because there is nothing else that you absolutely know can be done in parallel - it has to process things in a given order.

Now if you enable the second engine, that will use another whole core for its work.

Bob

digitaloutput

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »

Great, thank You BOB!

Can I ask you all for few simple answers?
1. Does AMP uses VST plugins now? YES / NO
2. Are there some different processors inside AMP or just REV,DLY....?
3. What processors do you have besides REV,DLY,GEQ....any amp/cab sims
 or...???
4. Does AMP support Dante network and devices - preamps?
5. Is a Lenovo laptop with a Intel i5 and 8gb of ram strong enough to run a 24ch show?
   (24ch input /10GEQ / 3 REV / DLY / 6 St MONITOR MIXES / FOH mix / Recording)
6. Is there a dedicated Android app that can control every parameter of AMP?
7. How many users can be connected to the main program?   
8. Will there ever be a VST processing feature inside AMP , is the team working on it?

All the Best,
Nik

RBIngraham

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »

1.  No
2.  Just Reverb, Delay and Graphic EQ as of right now
3.  See #3
4.  Yes, it can support any ASIO driver.  You could use the Dante PCIe card or if latency isn't important you could use Dante Virtual Sound Card.
5.  Probably.  I've only used desktops for the host, but my main host is an i5 with 8GB of RAM (don't remember the speed now) and I regularly run shows with 50+ inputs, with EQ on most inputs and outputs plus delays on many outputs.  I typically set up 16 to 24 Aux Sends because I use them like a Matrix Output.  Typical mixer set up for me is 72 inputs (which I never use all of), 8 Stereo Outputs (which are used for submixing mostly), 16 to 24 DCA, 16 to 24 Aux Sends.  I typically use a couple of reverbs if I don't use external ones.  I don't use Graphic EQ so I can't judge that, but I suspect it doesn't use that many resources.  I've never had any issues with this rig other than some GUI bugs through the years of various betas.  Keep in mind I'm not running a Dante system, this is a MOTU PCIe system.
6.  No.  There is a web browser based control app, but I think it's still a work in progress and I've never used it on a show.
7.  I don't think there is a a limit.  I'm sure at some point you'll find the limit the system can handle.  I've had as many as 5 GUI control stations (3 with control surfaces hooked up) running simultaneously on a couple larger shows.  Never had an issue.

Can not answer number 8.

These answers are all based on the most current release I know of at this moment. 

brettbrandon

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »

On question 2, there is also a multiband compressor.
There is also in/out patching that can be assigned the same way as an effect to patch in external processors.
As for #8, this is Bob's quote from earlier in this thread,
"The VST plugin support is still in the works, but we have priorities on a few other key items before release."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:55:55 PM by brettbrandon »

RBIngraham

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 07:22:04 PM »

Oppsss....  forgot about the multi-band compressor