Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: touch and turn  (Read 2052 times)

mattseymour

touch and turn
« on: December 19, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »

I believe Richard already talked about this once before, but can I put forward a request for a touch & turn control support? After using a Yamaha QL desk (which I really wasn't all that impressed with) I did like the touch & turn control. It looks like this would be easy to implement with the mackie control template. Would make great use of that big useless knob on the X-touch.

RBIngraham

Re: touch and turn
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:58:36 AM »

Interested to know what you didn't like about the QL?

mattseymour

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:20:25 AM »

I found it strangely unintuitive. With all those buttons and a large touchscreen I was surprised I had to go into the manual twice. Once was for output delays, the other was to rename a channel. Both are things that once you know, you know so no worries next time, but it still surprised me.

The analogue output also seemed quite noisy. Noticeable hiss from the connected active speakers (no gain control on these cabinets). In fact it was so noticeable that I wondered if there was something generating noise on the outputs, but couldn't find anything.

The control surface is really nice, very solid feel and nice faders. Definitely an improvement from the likes of the LS9, but I don't think I'd want to spend my own money on one.

RBIngraham

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »

Interesting.  The layout of controls is definitely one of those things where if you've used tons of Yamaha digitals for years it just seems to make sense.  Which is why I walk up to other desks and wonder why they are not as simple as the Yamaha desks.  :-) 

Having done a few shows on Digico SD9s of late, I find those to be the most unintuitive beasts.  But I know I'm alone in that feeling.  Even those that love those desks grumble about the UI.  But at least they make up for it with a really great sounding desk.

The analog output noise issue seems odd to me.  I have not had that issue but then I don't think I've worked with speakers that didn't have at least some sort of input trim.

JeremyJo

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »

If I understand the request - highlighted parameter can be adjusted via job wheel on X-Touch? Then I'm for it and second the request - I MIGHT, however, suggest a "timeout" or some way to release the job wheel from the parameter if it isn't used?  Im just thinking if you highlight something, adjust it, but then don't select another parameter - you could EASILY bump the jog knob and blow your desired setting.

RBIngraham

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »

If I understand the request - highlighted parameter can be adjusted via job wheel on X-Touch? Then I'm for it and second the request - I MIGHT, however, suggest a "timeout" or some way to release the job wheel from the parameter if it isn't used?  Im just thinking if you highlight something, adjust it, but then don't select another parameter - you could EASILY bump the jog knob and blow your desired setting.

Yep, that is pretty much what is being discussed.  I'd love for this not to just be limited to the X Touch however.  I could easily see this being a "selected parameter" control that would work with any MIDI control template.  Then just about any endless encoder could be used to make the adjustment.  I suspect the hard part is how do you show what the currently selected parameter is?  That would mean that just about every widget of every WDL will need one additional parameter that makes it "glow" when selected somehow.  Maybe there is a way already and I missed it, don't know.  Either way it's probably a lot of work on the graphics end of things.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »

That feature has been on the list, and there actually IS some support for that in the current channel strip code (as evidenced by a red box around the parameter you last messed with).  Still need to connect it to a controller.

Bob

mattseymour

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 10:23:19 AM »

Sweet :)

Jeremy's suggestion of having some sort of timeout for the selected item is wise.

mattseymour

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »

Also.... Thought i'd rattle this cage again ;)

My current laptop is a Lenovo Yoga, so the touch & turn functionality would be really nice.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 12:46:34 AM »

hmm good thing to bring up.  I've just added it to the request/bug list.