Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)   Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Contact us info@audiomixingplatform.com

FORUMS

Author Topic: More somewhat off topic digital audio networks discussion  (Read 201 times)

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AMP Stuff on RBI Sound Site
Richard B. Ingraham

mattseymour

• View Profile
Re: More somewhat off topic digital audio networks discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »
I do love the irony of the proprietary Dante solution allowing interoperability between manufacturers where the open standard AVB does not.

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »
Yeah I find that amusing as well.  But Cobranet was a proprietary protocol too and as the article points out it was successful till it was bought up and then allowed to die on the vine.  Hopefully the same fate doesn't await Dante, but there is a lot more Dante gear than there was Cobra gear. 

Another thing the article points out is that Yamaha heavily invested in Dante, so assuming it doesn't completely control it, I think that bodes well for Dante.  There are too many big manufacturers heavily invested in it right now that it just vanishes over night.  I'm sure something will come along some day but I suspect it will be more gradual than Cobranet's failure.

If you've read a lot of John Huntington you'll know that he has had a fairly major change of view about proprietary protocols.  And I largely agree with him.  We've just seen too many open protocols that just never go anywhere because reaching a consensus is just so damn hard.  Hell just agreeing on drawing standards at my day gig is an uphill battle some days and we all work for the same firm and are not really that large of a company.  (small by most people's standards)  I can't imagine trying to get manufacturers to agree on a protocol like AVB and then to get them to actually implement it.  Meanwhile Dante actually had hardware available and it worked.  Which in the end is all most users really care about. 
Richard B. Ingraham

mattseymour

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 02:16:45 PM »
I haven't come across him before but it's good writing, thanks for posting.

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 02:21:09 PM »
Sure.

His biggest claim to fame....

http://controlgeek.net/bookinfo/

A very useful book.  If you're into that sort of thing.  Which is probably why no one else has written one.
Richard B. Ingraham