Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Did some math and estimating  (Read 2613 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Did some math and estimating
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 11:52:39 AM »

Weíve been looking at many options, especially since a windows update just destroyed one of my special audio test systems. Canít believe that people donít put up a bigger fight against MS just removing software that it feels like removing. That really makes win10 unusable for any serious critical applications. I guess that forces us to use something like their embedded versions.

A Linux host could be as simple as an iso. There are quite a few programs Iíve used that come like that - burn the iso, boot and install. We are a little ways off from that. It would be very nice though to have a ďboxĒ similar to the Allen and heath designs that would have the host and some minimal I/o in it, expandable via network.

Bob

jlepore

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »

If you wanted to get into the business of supplying the full OS you could just as easily go to Win embedded for the server side since you don't need much services anyway, and have control of the updates.  It's what Avid has done for years and you never have to worry about the OS changing underneath you.

RBIngraham

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2018, 10:04:39 PM »

Wow, interesting.  I have yet to see this happen myself.  But then I always just run the updates as soon as they are available.  So far I guess I've just lucked out and it hasn't caused any issues. 

I suspect the bigger reason there isn't more outcry from audio types anyway is that so few are still using Windows for audio.  Only the installed "AV systems" seem to make much use of Windows to me.  Whenever I go to a theatre, I feel like I'm the only one that is still using a PC and not a Mac.

But wouldn't using Linux host severely limit the number of audio interfaces AMP could support?  I may be in the minority but I would hate to see that change.  Flexibility in using the hardware that fits your needs is what makes software mixing attractive in my opinion. 

RBIngraham

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2018, 11:15:10 PM »

To circle back around to the initial topic here, I think I may have come up with a way to affordably go down the Dante path.  So if I start with two TIO 1608s and the PCI card that gets me 32x16, which is enough for smaller shows, by using DVS for any playback needs.

But on a my larger shows I often have remote orchestra pits that are in another room or very far offstage or upstage these days.  So my thought was that until i could afford a third or fourth TIO box was to use a computer in the pit with some of my existing gear and I would either run the AMP host right on that computer, controlled from another instance of GUI at FOH and just submix all the orchestra in the pit and send out a few stereo feeds to the house mixer.  Or, I could also test out how much latency I get with Dante VIA and just turn that local I/O into Dante I/O.  I figure worst case using an AMP host submix adds 5 to 7 ms of additional latency.   For the orchestra channels that's rarely going to be a big deal and if it's a truly remote pit it really won't matter as the audience hears almost no direct sound.  In the best case, the latency for VIA is low enough that I don't even need to submix locally the computer just becomes a virtual stage box in the pit. 

I'll just have to get a VIA license and see what kind of latency I can get. 

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 11:24:29 PM »

VIA has a pretty high latency.  I'd definitely go with a hardware solution over using VIA.

They have these little 2 channel deals for just over $100 I think now...

Bob

RBIngraham

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 12:18:56 AM »

VIA has a pretty high latency.  I'd definitely go with a hardware solution over using VIA.

They have these little 2 channel deals for just over $100 I think now...

Bob

Their web site states 10ms in the FAQ, plus some additional for I/O for an audio interface.  For a remote pit, that's pretty much in who cares land.

Pages: 1 2 [3]