Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)   Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Contact us info@audiomixingplatform.com

FORUMS

Author Topic: Modular Mixer  (Read 446 times)

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
Modular Mixer
« on: June 14, 2018, 07:52:31 AM »
Well I had another wild hare idea and here it is.
Everyone seems to be looking for different elements in their mixer arranged in different ways. My idea is to break it up into parts you can choose and stack in whatever order you wish....
The pic attached is made up of seven modules.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:13:19 AM by brettbrandon »

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AMP Stuff on RBI Sound Site
Re: Modular Mixer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:07:22 PM »
Interesting idea.  I've kinda been doing something similar with separate mixer wdl views that feature different items.  Most notably I create a DCA view that is mostly for the channel names as that is what my surface is typically controlling.  Where as all the other channel types show up in a different mixer WDL which is mostly manipulated via mouse (during tech) and Scene recalls (during shows).

I also do a lot with F Key type layouts, hiding some wdls and revealing others. 
Richard B. Ingraham

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »
I just thought of one instance this won't work very well... Tabs.
There would have to be some kind of code added to the header to be able to create mixer groups so that all the modules would respond the same to tab changes.
Then, where do the tabs go?
It was just a thought but still quite useable for alot of situations.

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 03:50:42 PM »
It wouldn't work very well if you couldn't fit all the channels you want to see on the screen either.  If they each had an independent scroll bar it would be pretty much unusable.

An easier solution for now would just be to create separate WDL versions that show or hide the parts you want/don't want. 

Which is pretty much what I've done and I just rely on Brett for the Channel view WDL since those are just so damn complex I've avoided creating one.  :-)
Richard B. Ingraham

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 04:15:05 PM »
You can turn the scroll bars off. Then turn it on in one window. You would still need some kind of "group" function so that the other windows would follow.

Richard B. Ingraham

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
Well that's kind of what I'm saying.  Without some type of group function they wouldn't all scroll left/right together.  Unless there is a way to do that it seems like a non starter unless you can fit all the channels you need on the screen without scrolling.
Richard B. Ingraham

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »
There's a good excuse to go to a 4k monitor. I can fit 53 channels of this basic wide version, and 89 channels of the regular basic mixer on screen.

I mentioned this to Bob when I was talking to him last night and he seemed rather curious about it.
I'm going to try to push for a Mixer Group function to make the tabs and scroll bars work.
I think I'll still go ahead and make the modules for Basic and Basic Wide for those without a large channel count or tab use.

skuithe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »
Love it....

vox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 08:12:19 PM »

I mentioned this to Bob when I was talking to him last night and he seemed rather curious about it.
I'm going to try to push for a Mixer Group function to make the tabs and scroll bars work.
I think I'll still go ahead and make the modules for Basic and Basic Wide for those without a large channel count or tab use.

If that would also scroll /switch the FX rack and any other pertinent windows that would be cool.

brettbrandon

• Beta Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
I'm abandoning this as I lost all the files in a "System Restore". Bob said it shouldn't affect wdl files but it deleted any wdl files created after the restore point. The graphic files were left untouched. Unfortunately it was about a week before realizing it and was unable to reverse the restore.
Anyway, there are problems syncing the windows together that would require additional gui code to fix.
Time to take a break......