Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Presonus FaderPort8?  (Read 12642 times)

RBIngraham

Re: Presonus FaderPort8?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »

No, this is better community theatre.  But you're right - even the high school shows are requesting 16-24 these days.  My highest count was 40 with Le Miz.  That was a combination of all of what you mentioned! :-)

Bob

Interesting.  Around here most of the community theatres wouldn't be able to afford the battery and supplies for that many mics alone.  :-)  Those that can afford that are usually sort of a hybrid theatre of some sort, where they have a handful of professional equity actors, some others that are being paid and some chorus members that get small stipends.  In those companies they can't afford a cast that size so you end up maybe 16 to 24 wireless or so.  The only places I regularly see more than 24 channels of wireless are in schools, often higher ed where the actors are free (or paying to be there really)  and they can afford that channel count or the better high school programs where the cast sizes can get ridiculous and I have to talk them down from silly wireless mic count.  Better fewer, good quality mics, well mixed and blended than just mics everywhere picking up all sorts of phase issues and sounding like crap.  (not saying your shows sound bad... just saying that all too often I've seen ridiculous RF mic counts with very little thought to how that really impacts that sound of the show because it's so poorly mixed, a ton of cheap mics, not enough tech time to really make it all work well....etc... all of the above!)  I'm sure you know what I mean.   :)

But you also have to take into account that the more professional houses will have off stage vocals, backing tracks, etc, etc, etc....  all the tricks that minimize the channel count for RF mics but in the end sound more polished.  Or canned... depending on your perspective and opinion.   ;)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »

Yes, we have some of those hybrid theatres here, and some not.  I once did a kids theatre camp that used 36.  I do have RF under control, so can't say I've really had many RF issues.. Most of the time, it is the mike cables dying.  And yes, my show audio is very good! :-)

Back to the issue that started this thread.. The presonus would probably be ok to mix a show like I'm doing now, as all I need is a few faders.  But for live mixing where I need quick access to mutes, perhaps not so much.

Bob

jlklein

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 12:45:16 AM »

Only 16 wireless?  Man, and I'm using 36 for my current show.... <g>

I try to limit our wireless to absolute necessities, which week to week is just the Pastor, Worship Leader and whoever has solos (in the Blended service, Contemporary is on wired). The only time we use more than a few is during our Easter and Christmas pageants for the drama characters and I keep them limited to 16 max (our 8 plus my vocal group's 8). Every time we added more wireless they added twice as many characters and one liners...got kinda ridiculous after a while so I put my foot down. Luckily I'm friends with the drama ministry leader...she's also the leader of my vocal group that loans the additional mics (I run sound for them) and she does listen to reason once in a while ;)

Jeff

RBIngraham

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »

Yes, we have some of those hybrid theatres here, and some not.  I once did a kids theatre camp that used 36.  I do have RF under control, so can't say I've really had many RF issues.. Most of the time, it is the mike cables dying.  And yes, my show audio is very good! :-)

Back to the issue that started this thread.. The presonus would probably be ok to mix a show like I'm doing now, as all I need is a few faders.  But for live mixing where I need quick access to mutes, perhaps not so much.

Bob

To me it's not about RF issues. (not yet anyway) It's about all the comb filtering you get every time you open one extra microphone.  And most of these type of places don't have the tech time for even a pro level operator to really nail a line by line mix (although we still try most days).

And every mic you have open means less gain as well, which can be a big deal depending on show, venue, etc...

So the fewer the mics the better to me.

As for the Presonus that looks the closest to what I really want at least from what is currently being manufactured anyway.  But the more I've thought about it the more all I really want is a fader and a mute button for about 24 channels.  Heck I've come to realize for my work it doesn't even need to be motorized (as long as I'm working with AMP since I only use the surface to operate DCA faders).  I am really thinking about just building something myself.  It just comes down to if I'll ever have time to make it happen.

fdew

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »

Only 16 wireless?  Man, and I'm using 36 for my current show.... <g>

I try to limit our wireless to absolute necessities,

Jeff

So your telling me you don't use a wireless mic for the piano player or the guitar player with a pedal board in front of him?     I get a kick out of seeing that.  I think  people see wireless mics on TV and think they have to have one.  Me, I wont use one until I have set up a wired backup.

jlklein

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »

So your telling me you don't use a wireless mic for the piano player or the guitar player with a pedal board in front of him?     I get a kick out of seeing that.  I think  people see wireless mics on TV and think they have to have one.  Me, I wont use one until I have set up a wired backup.

Heheheh, yep. Our pianist for the blended service doesn't sing, but if we have a soloist who wants to accompany herself, I'll put the wireless solo mic on a boom for them, but that falls under the "soloist" use and it's not somewhere I usually run a cable to. All of our contemporary service band members are tied to their mic stands anyway (Avioms and iPads for sheet music) so they don't bother with wireless. The acoustic guitarist/band leader and electric guitarist do have wireless in ears, but they do need some freedom of movement as the electric amp is in front of the stage (direct input) and the band leader likes to roam the seats during practice so he can discuss mix-related thoughts.

Jeff

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »

I resemble that remark! :-)  Actually, for quick setups when you have next to no setup time, it's nice.. As long as you have time to get it all working prior to load-in.

jlklein

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »

I resemble that remark! :-)  Actually, for quick setups when you have next to no setup time, it's nice.. As long as you have time to get it all working prior to load-in.

Agreed. When we did our outdoor Christmas Festival in the back parking lot, we did use wireless handhelds for all of the vocalists, even though they were stationary, and the MC for just that reason. We were borrowing my 7th Voice vocal/drama group's system, which had 8 racked receivers, so we just brought out our handhelds and sync'd them (same models...kinda for just that reason ;) ).

Jeff
Pages: 1 2 [3]