Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Presonus FaderPort8?  (Read 12110 times)

RBIngraham

Re: Presonus FaderPort8?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »

Yeah I understand.  I guess I just haven't really seen that as much of an issue.  In fact the main surface issues I've had are with Motormixes and their displays just failing.  Although it was nice I guess that you could yank the MIDI cables on those and plug them back in and most days everything just started working again.  Even with the crappy BCFs, other than faders just wearing out I only had that one issue where they stopped working mid show.  Which we could never figure out what happened exactly.

And I can see where an ethernet device could allow for that same kind of thing of losing a connection doesn't break everything.  I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for such an animal.  The Behringer is the only one I've seen with that connectivity that isn't in the "if you have to ask...." price range.

gdougherty

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 12:52:03 AM »

Is there issues with USB?  I haven't really seen any myself.  A Ethernet based interface likely adds quite a bit of expense to a unit and then there is always the fact that for the most part these are aimed towards you modest to mid level recording studio folks, who don't really have a need or care about Ethernet connectivity.  And for many of those users a network based interface would likely just be one extra network based thing they have to worry about.  For better or worse, USB is self discoverable by default (I'm sure it could be done via Ethernet, but the manufacturer has to write that themselves), cheap and I think it's fairly reliable.  Plus almost everyone knows how to use that and then look in their DAW for the virtual USB MIDI port.

It's a fairly simple thing to put a network port into a studio room and allow for transport control via a networked remote at incredibly long distances with no issues.  USB is a little more of a hassle.

RBIngraham

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 10:23:20 AM »

Well I mostly meant from the standpoint of manufacturing the device.  I suspect it would add costs, but that's just a guess.

And while most understand simple networking, the minute you add the need to have something that will interpret an Ethernet device into a MIDI port you've added a layer I suspect a lot don't understand.  Unless you make it very simple to use of course.  Just look at your typical live sound person and MIDI....  I've seen so many that don't have a clue about MIDI and what all the message types are and what they mean, or why they are the way they are... etc....  Unless you have some special piece of software that runs on the computer the surface is talking to an ethernet device won't self discover (i.e. plug and play) like most USB devices do.  There will be some set up screens you have to dig through, and playing with IP addresses, etc...  Yeah not a big deal for many, especially here in this group but I can see that being extra steps and confusing to others that are used to USB devices you just plug in and turn a few settings on in your DAW.

In the end either way works for me.  I would prefer a network attached device, but that feature alone is not going to make or break a sale for me unless I'm designing a system that really needs that network attached control surface.  Most users as it pertains to AMP don't really need that, as it's unlikely they are going to put a surface in a location where they don't have a computer running the GUI already anyway. 

Now I could see where if someone had a cool little network attached device that looked like a personal monitor mixer that would be really slick for AMP as you could just drop one of those wherever anyone needed to tweek their personal mix and it all just speaks to a single GUI computer somewhere.  In that application the much longer cable run ability and network layout of an Ethernet controller would make something like that a lot more practical.

RBIngraham

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 05:08:52 PM »

If I heard correctly in my news feeds I believe this unit from Presonus is now shipping.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 10:33:21 PM »

Yes, and I *just* got one in here!  Haven't had time yet to unbox it - perhaps after Christmas. 

gdougherty

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »

Recently ordered in a QCon Pro X for a studio control surface.  Excepting height, it's a little smaller than the QCon Pro and it looks pretty solid.  I know the extenders are designed to plug into the base unit, not sure if they can work standalone.  Haven't received it yet, ordered a B-Stock that's apparently on back order. 

Looked at the Presonus and was uninterested due to the lack of rotary controls on the channels. It does have the one, but that seems a cumbersome way to deal with it.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 01:16:15 PM »

Ok so I just got a chance to play around with the Presonus FaderPort 8.  Unfortunately, I'm disappointed. 

1. The unit is sluggish.  Think of the Motormix, and then a little slower.  It takes a good full second for the faders to get to their final resting place.

2. The tiny mutes and solos are next to each other (alternating mute/solo/mute/solo), and its way too easy to hit a Mute instead of a Solo.

3. Unit will definitely need a custom template file.  It has 3 modes of operation: Its own, MCU, and HUI.  I tested both MCU and HUI, and it sort of works... but there's other stuff the controller is doing itself to try to be helpful, like remapping some of the functions when you hit ARM.  I would hope this would be defeatable in their own protocol.

4. Scribble strip text is VERY small.

5. Fader spacing is pretty tight - about the same as the Motormix.  That's not terrible, it's just once you get used to the roominess of the X-Touch, its harder to go back.

6. They have two rotary encoders total.  It would have made sense to make the rotary controller emulate the pot of the selected channel, but it does not.  Again, this could probably be resolved with a custom template, but I would have thought both the MCU and HUI emulation would have done this by default.

7. It is USB ONLY - no network OR MIDI connections.

If all you want is faders, this could work.  But for the price, I think I'd go with the X-Touch.

Bob

jlklein

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 05:21:20 PM »

I pulled the trigger on a couple of X-touches (for FOH and recording) just before Thanksgiving and despite me having to throw up a little in my mouth when I clicked "add to cart", I've been pretty happy with them so far ;)

The only issue I've seen is that occasionally it will feel like the fader is fighting me, like someone is on the same mix view as me and holding the faders...but it's not consistent. The caveat is that they're on my church SAC system, not my home AMP test system, so I'm wondering if it's a SAC thing. I had issues with my Motormixes on the church SAC system that I didn't have on my home SAC test system, so who knows.

So far, though, I like them...just wish the X-touch compact had scribbles...I could have fit two of them per position for a full 16 faders like my Motormixes were. Glad the Presonus wasn't out at the time, based on your comments, Bob. I have enough trouble on the X-touches getting used to the button labels being below the button instead of above them like the Motormix had.

Jeff

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »

Hey Jeff,

So when are you going to run a Big Boy Mixer at your church??? :-)

I see the same thing with the X-Touches- the first movement of a fader seems to "stick" a little.  Have not yet messed enough with it to figure out just what is causing it.  Has anyone seen this same thing with other DAWs?

Bob

jlklein

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 10:10:44 AM »

So when are you going to run a Big Boy Mixer at your church??? :-)

I actually got 2017 budget approval to replace our MOTU PCIe-424 card, MOTU-2408MKIII and ART TubeOpto8 hardware with the Dante card and 5 TIO boxes to get AMP up and running :)

Now, I just need to find time to really dig into it and get AMP configured. I've had the USB key in our audio PC for months and the backup on my laptop at home, it's just finding the time to spend more than 30 minutes at a time learning it :(

Jeff

fdew

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »

Wow, 5 boxes,  80 ch  NICE.  I am running three and I like the setup a lot.
It's hard to say what the biggest single advantage of AMP over SAC is, but a better GUE and DCAs are right up there.
BTW I got pretty good money for my focusrite preamps on Ebay.   The 2408s not so much, although I had MKII not III

jlklein

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 01:06:28 AM »

Wow, 5 boxes,  80 ch  NICE.

We currently have a 72 channel SAC system.
Basically it's all 48 channels from the stage and then (currently) 24 channels in the booth, soon to be 32 channels. I wanted to have all 48 stage box channels patchable and then up to 16 booth wireless (for pageants) and up to 8 stereo channels (PC, Laptop, DVD1, DVD2, and Video currently).

Jeff

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »

Only 16 wireless?  Man, and I'm using 36 for my current show.... <g>

RBIngraham

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »

Only 16 wireless?  Man, and I'm using 36 for my current show.... <g>

High school shows?  They really seem to have gotten out of control on the wireless count in recent years.  They are not going to be happy when the new bandwidth limitations come into play, they will have to either cut back on channel count (and/or learn the art of the fast swap) or step up to some really nice units with very selective front ends and/or have a large variety of freq band types (VHF, UHF, 2.4GHz, etc..)  to keep up those kind of channel counts. 

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »

No, this is better community theatre.  But you're right - even the high school shows are requesting 16-24 these days.  My highest count was 40 with Le Miz.  That was a combination of all of what you mentioned! :-)

Bob
Pages: 1 [2] 3