Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Presonus FaderPort8?  (Read 13131 times)

jlklein

Presonus FaderPort8?
« on: September 16, 2016, 12:21:48 AM »

Well, this just happened:
http://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort-8

I was all set to start replacing my Motormixes (like this week) with Behringer X-touches and then this comes out...I wonder how it will compare.

I like the less cluttered layout, but it'd be nice if it had a master fader (9 total).

Jeff

mattseymour

Re: Presonus FaderPort8?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 01:07:31 AM »

Mmmm interesting, although I think the master fader and network connectivity probably gives xtouch the edge.

jlklein

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:39:55 AM »

Mmmm interesting, although I think the master fader and network connectivity probably gives xtouch the edge.

The X-touch does also have the dedicated rotary encoder per channel as well...and it's available now :)

Jeff

RBIngraham

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:28:06 PM »

Interesting.  I'll be interested to see what the price point ends up being.  I would rather have something based on Ethernet.  But USB is not a deal breaker.

While I like having than 9th fader as well, since those two extra faders when you have 2 surfaces can make all the difference between needing 2 units or 3 units (at least in my world), I have to say from the standpoint of creating a MIDI template for them in AMP, 8 is much easier to deal with.  :-)

I'll probably wait to see street price on this guy and I have a pretty good Presonus Rep so maybe I can get my hands on a demo unit. 

And I was all set to try and get myself another one of the compact iCon units. 

jlklein

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »

I'll probably wait to see street price on this guy and I have a pretty good Presonus Rep so maybe I can get my hands on a demo unit.

B&H's pre-order price is $100 less than the X-touch @$399.

And I was all set to try and get myself another one of the compact iCon units.

Yeah, I looked at those, too, but man, they're pretty ugly. I know it's cosmetic but that color scheme has to go, lol.

RBIngraham

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »

$399 isn't too bad.  A pair of them would be all I need most days anyway and when I did need more faders than 16 I could always throw in one old BCF unit for those times when you need a few more.

You're right the iCon units are not pretty.   But I got one to try out because it was cheap on eBay and that is really the size unit I want.  Hell I don't even want that, all I really want is a 8 or 9 faders per unit with mutes, solos and select buttons.  I could ditch all the knobs, banking buttons and any other extra crap. 

I should probably just get someone to build me a custom 24 fader surface and be done with it.  :-)

To me the main issue with the iCon (and I'm talking about their small surface the iControl Pro) is that you have to touch a specific part of the fader cap in order to move the fader.  So the first thing I would have to do before putting this in front of a board op is buy all metal fader caps (probably Presonus) to fix that issue.  The other issue is that the connections are on the side of the unit, so you can't butt two of them right next to each other.  And when I used mine to mix a small one off event I found that it was uncomfortable to have to really ride fader #1 a lot.  The buttons and knobs on that side get in the way to me.  So I would have to not use fader #1 as the most important faders to grab, which is just unintuitive for most theatre mixing.  The most important wireless are almost always there. 

I will probably make use of this unit more as a something to put at my tech table as a designer.  It will be useful as a designer's mix surface.  And I can use it with my playback software as well as AMP. 

Hopefully these Presonus work well because I really try to avoid giving Behringer any money if I can help it and unless you want to be proven the fool, you need to carry at least one spare of everything.

jlklein

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »

$399 isn't too bad.  A pair of them would be all I need most days anyway...

You're right the iCon units are not pretty.   But I got one to try out because it was cheap on eBay and that is really the size unit I want....I could ditch all the knobs, banking buttons and any other extra crap. 

To me the main issue with the iCon (and I'm talking about their small surface the iControl Pro) is that you have to touch a specific part of the fader cap in order to move the fader....
The other issue is that the connections are on the side of the unit, so you can't butt two of them right next to each other...

Hopefully these Presonus work well because I really try to avoid giving Behringer any money if I can help it and unless you want to be proven the fool, you need to carry at least one spare of everything.

Agreed on all points.

Jeff

RBIngraham

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »

The price for the Presonus seems to be $499, not $399.  That is the price on Sweetwater and B&H web sites.  So that is probably MAP pricing.  Might get it for less but not a whole lot less.

Still, I'd rather give Presonus  my money than Behringer any day of the week.

jlklein

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 12:49:41 PM »

The price for the Presonus seems to be $499, not $399.  That is the price on Sweetwater and B&H web sites.  So that is probably MAP pricing.  Might get it for less but not a whole lot less.

Still, I'd rather give Presonus  my money than Behringer any day of the week.

It *was* $399...I wonder if that was to entice early orders.

Jeff

RBIngraham

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »

It *was* $399...I wonder if that was to entice early orders.

Jeff

Either that or someone screwed up somewhere and now it's been fixed.  Could have been someone at B&H or perhaps Presonus themselves, they were releasing quite a bit of product while also dealing with their entire town flooding, including their headquarters.  So it would certainly be understandable.

JeremyJo

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 03:32:56 PM »

I've been using two xtouch together for several months not a with no issues. I wish I could use the coloRs on the scribble strips. But the units work well so far.  I just set them up on Ethernet connections and that's nice deal, simplifies cabling. I took end caps off inside each unit and pushed them close together with a strip of gaff tape holding them close. It doesn't look bad and seems to work for what I need.

So far I like them better than motormixes and bcfs.

fdew

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 04:49:22 PM »

The Bar X is $66 per fader (9 faders)
The Fader Port 8 i s$62.35 per fader (8 faders.)

I like the look of the Faderport 8 better.

If they come out with a Fader Port 8 extender, I will sell my X and get a couple of them.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »

I've got one of those Presonus units on order - will see how it works.  It would be nice if it used a network interface - I think that is one really stable thing about the X-Touch.

Bob

RBIngraham

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 12:05:52 PM »

Is there issues with USB?  I haven't really seen any myself.  A Ethernet based interface likely adds quite a bit of expense to a unit and then there is always the fact that for the most part these are aimed towards you modest to mid level recording studio folks, who don't really have a need or care about Ethernet connectivity.  And for many of those users a network based interface would likely just be one extra network based thing they have to worry about.  For better or worse, USB is self discoverable by default (I'm sure it could be done via Ethernet, but the manufacturer has to write that themselves), cheap and I think it's fairly reliable.  Plus almost everyone knows how to use that and then look in their DAW for the virtual USB MIDI port.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 08:12:28 PM »

USB is not exactly the most reliable.  You pull the connector while using it, and you're done until you can restart the app.

Also, discovered that the Presonus box wont be shipping for another month or so yet...

Pages: [1] 2 3