Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Behringer X-Touch  (Read 16307 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Behringer X-Touch
« on: November 12, 2015, 01:54:54 AM »

Just got my new X-Touch in.  I've not had the Mackie one, but from what I gather, this pretty much is the same as the Mackie, just cheaper.  It will require a bit of additional GUI code, but I am very excited about this - it has colored scribble strips, 9 faders, and a ton of buttons that we can make good use of.  It can connect via MIDI, USB, or network (rtpMIDI).

The faders aren't super fast, but are faster than the Motormix.   Even has 8-segment channel meters!

Bob

jlklein

Re: Behringer X-Touch
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 12:34:54 PM »

I'll be watching that with interest. Not a big Behringer fan, but my Motormixes are getting long in the tooth and that does look pretty sweet, esp with touch sensitive faders, scribble strips, meters and illuminated buttons.

Jeff

RBIngraham

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 10:48:16 PM »

I am more interested in its cheaper little brother, no scrible strips, but cheaper and not so many unuseful controls that would waste a ton of space by the time you get 24 to 32 faders.

mattseymour

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:34:49 AM »

I'm about to buy one or the other... I suspect the scribble strips will win me over as I'm likely to only ever have one. Looking forward to being able to make good use of it ;)

mattseymour

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »

Ok... done it. Ordered one. Here's hoping it isn't too long before I'm able to use all those lovely scribble strips in some sort of AMP native way ;)

mattseymour

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 05:09:30 PM »

Marvellous... It's arrived. Is there any way I can use it currently?

I've had a little play in SAC using the MCU template and all seems to be working. I don't think there's a way to program the X-touch like the BCF so am I right in thinking I'm at a dead end until there's a control template?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:49:31 PM »

It actually will work with the Motormix template; however, the faders will return to off unless it gets a ping command from the host.  It's a REALLY DUMB thing, but that's the way it works.  The Mackie is the same way.  You'll notice that it will follow the GUI.

Work is progressing on the GUI's MIDI code, so hopefully soon...

Bob

mattseymour

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:47:58 AM »

Super. I'll appear to wait patiently, whilst really jumping about like an over-excited three year old.

I presume the aim will be to fully support the controller, with its myriad of buttons, including the high res scribble strips.

I'm so far quite impressed with the controller. Faders and buttons feel nice. The only bit that feels a bit cheap to me is the scrub wheel. I'm looking forward to using it. Had a few occasions recently when I could have done with some physical faders, but I couldn't have the noise of a BCF.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:23:03 AM »

Hey Matt,

That's a great take-away on the X-touch - I totally agree.  And yes, we do plan on fully using the scribble strips.

Bob

JeremyJo

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »

Fo grins I've made some annotations on an image of the X-Touch suggesting what various controls would do in AMP.  I'm sure there are limitations and I'm sure I've missed, or misinterpreted what the unit can do. I'm also sure that other folks would have different desires, but at least this might get the conversation started. If we can build a general consensus within the limitations of the box and AMP, then maybe the X-Touch would be a good control surface for AMP:

mattseymour

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 01:57:00 AM »

Every button/control just outputs midi data, either notes or cc so everything can be used with the right template. Whether it's useful to have quite so many buttons I'm the real world is another matter.

mattseymour

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 12:08:20 PM »

Having played with this a bit more, I'm guessing we're going to need to wait for more firmware before this controller can really be used to it's capabilities. It's currently only able to emulate Mackie Control. I don't see how you access the high res, coloured scribble strip capabilities at the moment.

Behringer have promised the x-touch can be used with the X series mixers, which all use OSC for their control. I'm presuming/hoping the X-touch series will support OSC in the near future.

Does amp talk OSC, and is that something that's on the cards? Again... Kinda guessing it will be as that's how you'd talk to the X series mixers.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 12:15:05 PM by mattseymour »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 12:22:13 PM »

OSC is a very slow protocol, because you have to interpret text strings.  The MCU mode of the X-Touch is actually very good.  I've got it working here.  There's still more to do for full functionality, but its a decent little box!  Will be posting a test gui soon so you can start messing with it.

Bob

mattseymour

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »

I'll look forward to that. Had to break out the BCF for some stuff coming up next week. Gosh it's all cheap and gritty and noisy and urgh.

mattseymour

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 04:25:31 PM »

I'm probably a bit quick off the mark, but I've just tried the 0.9.59 GUI just uploaded and it doesn't start, at least on XP. I get a Windows plugin missing error.
Pages: [1] 2 3