Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dual Homed Remote network setup?  (Read 9633 times)

jlklein

Dual Homed Remote network setup?
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »

Hi folks,
I've finally been able to start playing around a little more with the beta and have a dual network setup question. The host PC behaves fine with the Host App and Gui App, however, I'm having an issue getting remotes to connect on my dual homed remote.

All of my AV network stuff, including the AMP Host PC, is on a private network on a 192.168.2.x subnet with static IPs.

Three of the AV PCs are dual homed (2 NICs) so they can also access the church network/Internet for various reasons. They have one NIC with 192.168.2.x static IPs and another with 192.168.1.x church network IPs (DHCP).

One of these is my Recording PC remote, so the problem I have is that the GUI on the Recording PC sees the PC as residing on the 192.168.1.x subnet, and it won't see the Host PC on the 192.168.2.x subnet to connect to.

I have my 192.168.2.x subnet set up with a 255.255.252.0 mask so it can see both subnets, but the church's DHCP settings set the mask to 255.255.255.0, which prevents it from seeing my AV network subnet. I could do static IPs on it, but I'd rather avoid it if possible.

Is there a way to specify in the Recording Remote's GUI setup which NIC card to use for Ethernet comms?

Thanks,
Jeff

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Homed Remote network setup?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:21:15 PM »

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, I didn't see your message here!  So here's the scoop:

AMP uses only port 7999.  So if you have a way to port-forward thru your router, that should do it for you.  Since you would have remotes behind a NAT, you might need to switch to using TCP meters instead of the default UDP, but it should still work.

So, bottom line is that you need to port-forward thru a box that has access to both subnets.

Bob

jlklein

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:14:10 PM »

Bob,
There's not really a router that I could port forward through. Currently only the NIC for the church network has a Gateway address entered (the church's Verizon FIOS modem/router); the AV network is connected on a second NIC that only has IP and Subnet filled in as everything on the AV network is run through a non-managed Netgear network switch in the tech booth with the PCs. So, I'm not sure I could port forward anything through that setup.

We're doing some reconfiguring of the AV network soon and moving towards primary and secondary IPs on a single card rather than using separate NICs...maybe that would be better.

Is there a reason AMP sees one NIC as the IP over the other, i.e. does it maybe only detect which one has the Gateway IP filled in?

Thanks,
Jeff

jlepore

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:11:33 AM »

Oh .. Now what you said makes sense.  I read it the first time and missed the two different card issue.

Ok. What you are saying is the server is listening on the wrong network. The clients should automatically use the correct card based on the IP you tell them to connect to.  I can see how it would be easy to overlook that in the server code when binding to the network.

Perhaps on multi homed networks you need to ask for which IP to bind to. You can default in the normal case, but being able to override that in these kind of special cases shouldn't be hard.

You get what he's saying now Bob?

jlklein

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 04:29:09 PM »

Thanks, Joe, for helping clarify.
It would be helpful if, like when using Wireshark, you can tell the program what NIC to use for Ethernet comms. I think even when I go to a single NIC and have 2 IPs configured on it I might still have to tell AMP what IP to base comms on, wouldn't I?

Thanks,
Jeff

jlepore

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 06:16:15 PM »

Yes. If he does not listen on all addresses, you will need to be able to specify which address to listen on.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 12:35:26 AM »

Hmm, AMP *should* bind to all adaptors present.  You sure it is not doing that?  You can check by hitting the webserver port using both networks..

Bob

jlepore

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 02:43:57 AM »

In the quick test I did on my development machine, I only see an open listening port on one of 3 IP addresses/networks on my single card.  I don't have a second card in this machine, but how would I tell it I want it to bind on a different address?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 12:47:14 AM »

Hmm, I'll have to check the bindings on the servers.  I thought it was set to bind to anything that it found.

Bob

gdougherty

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »

Probably would be nice in the OP situation to have the ability to bind to anything or to a specific address.  That would prevent it from listening on the "public" NIC and being accessible to outsiders.

jlklein

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »

Hey Bob,
Did you ever find any more info on this issue? I still can't reach my host PC from my dual-homed recording PC. The church has opened up it's subnet mask to 255.255.248.0 due to public wifi now, so my recording PC now has the following setup:

C:\Users\AV Admin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SAC-REC-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: (THIS IS THE CHURCH NETWORK)

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d150:fe97:d3a3:7031%13
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.51
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: (THIS IS THE AV NETWORK)

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::61f0:3a17:af89:6090%10
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.102
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

My Host PC has the following setup:
C:\Users\SAC Admin>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FBC-SAC1
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connecti
on
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-03-73-DA-F5-2F
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::25cd:8e07:4d83:a7b1%11(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 12:48:50 AM »

HI Jeff,

You have two overlapping subnets... Can't do that - OSes will not be happy!  I bet if you change your second network to a different ip range (perhaps 10.1.x.x), you will find it will work.

Bob

jlklein

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »

I'll give that a shot...however, it was still doing it when the original church subnet was 255.255.255.0 (192.168.1.x range), which shouldn't have had an issue.

Thanks,
Jeff

jlklein

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »

Ok, I changed the host to 10.10.2.101 and the remote to 10.10.2.102 and still no joy.
I can ping back and forth between each PC, but no connection via AMP.
SAC picked it right up, no reconfiguration necessary, not sure why it works but AMP does not...maybe because it uses host names rather than IPs?

Thanks,
Jeff

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 01:43:29 AM »

Interesting.  I will have to add another nic to my system and mess around.  I did just make a few mods to the host, so just as soon as I get the last couple things worked out, I'll post the new host - please try that one and see if it solves the issue.

Bob
Pages: [1] 2