Audio Mixing Platform (AMP)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Motormix  (Read 13002 times)

RBIngraham

Motormix
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:06:37 AM »

I am considering sending all my motormixes out of refurbishment, since they all have some sort of issue or another.

What ROMs should I ask Carl to install in them?  Does it matter?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Motormix
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:33:57 AM »

It does not matter, if you have sufficient MIDI ports to handle each controller.

RBIngraham

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 10:45:30 AM »

So those SAC ROMs are only needed if you want to daisy chain the units, correct?

fdew

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »

I am interested in how it works out for you.  Is there a fixed price of does it depend on what is the matter?

I have three, all have the same problem.  They work for a few weeks or months then one or another will go to a blank screen and no response.  (Screen is lit but nothing works.)  Power cycling works for a while, then when it happens to often I take it home, dissemble it, exercise all the connectors and put it back together and I am good for a little while.

Either I am cleaning dirty contacts but not very well, or I am flexing a bad board and making it work for a while or.....

Ideas, good contact cleaner advice welcome.

RBIngraham

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »

Yep I have at least one that does that.  My oldest (and the one I purchased new back in the days when Digidesign was distributing them) does that for sure.  And perhaps one other as well does that.  The oldest one has actually already been refurb' once.

The other two I picked up on eBay and at least one of those has some fader that are failing.

I'll let you know but I'm very much on the fence about spending the time and money.  If they are no more reliable than my behringers (which except for being a bit noisy have not shown any issues until one did recently) then why bother... well except for the much nicer faders.  In which case I might as well buy some new X Touch units, probably an X Touch compact.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 01:58:41 AM »

I also have several that do that.  I think there is something inheritently flaky in the design of the little 8 or 16-bit CPU system that is in the motormixes.  One thing I seemed to find is that when I took them apart, they worked fine.  When re-assembled, they failed.

Its too bad the BCFs smack around so much.

Bob

RBIngraham

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 11:10:33 AM »

Well the feel and smoothness of the faders also sucks royal on the BCFs as well.  It noisy was their only bad point I very likely wouldn't bother even looking probably.  But they leave a lot to be desired in terms of use and then there is the fact that you have to make sure you always have a spare.   ;)

fdew

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »

Update on motormix blank screen no response.  I had one at church that really quit. It would power up run through the start up menus and go blank.  Very reliable, did it every time.  I pulled it and put it in the car on Tuesday.  Pulled it out today and plugged it in at home to make sure it was still broken before pulling it apart. It has been running perfectly for 11 hours.

I am more convinced then ever that this is a flakey connection issue, probably a connector.  I see two fixes.  Clean the connectors with something that really works and doesn't cause more trouble.  In order to do that, I need to know what that something is.  Any thoughts? 

Solder ribbon cables between boards instead of connectors.  Gulp.  I can do it, but it doesn't sound like fun.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

jlklein

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 03:53:36 PM »

Last time I was going to send mine in (a few years back) I was quoted $180, including SAC chip upgrade, so it might be lower without the chip. I just had him send me the chips and installed them myself as mine were all working fine at the time.

Now I'm also having various issues with mine (all eBay purchases, 6 total with 5 having the SAC ROM). As most are pairs, it's a crap shoot to troubleshoot while still running SAC (haven't hooked them to AMP yet, hopefully have some time after by the New Year...can't wait).

Current issues (running SAC) are:
1 unit does the power up fine then blank but lit screen thing (non-SAC ROM, most recent eBay purchase).
1 unit starts up and responds to SAC activities, but won't control SAC. Power cycling doesn't fix.
1 pair has issues with losing MIDI data link back to SAC screen, i.e. responds to SAC but Motormix actions don't send back to SAC (including buttons). Either power cycling Motormix or deselecting and then selecting "MIDI IN" on SAC menu restores operation for a while. Still not convinced that's not SAC.
1 pair works fine but randomly causes faders on screen in SAC to reposition (drop or max out) when switching Fkeys...semi repeatable.

Once I get AMP running with them, and get some more MIDI interfaces, we'll see how they do. At least I'll be able to see which individual unit works/fails once I don't have to daisy chain them.

Thanks,
Jeff

fdew

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 05:05:55 PM »

I may have found something useful.  The MotorMix has two main boards. one is held to the chassis using standoffs (The board with all the square buttons.  The board under it mounts to the above standoffs with screws.  The two are connected by a headder with long pins on it plugging into a jack on the mating board.  No cable, just 34 pins.  I found that if I remove the standoffs the pins enter the connector and penetrate .05 in further.  That seems like a lot for a connector.  also, without the standoffs the boards are harder to pull apart.

I have a Motormix working right now with the connector all the way in.  If it seems to continue to work well I will figure out how to make it permanent.

JeremyJo

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 07:48:17 PM »

I have two MotorMix units with SAC ROMs in them. I bought them used. One I sent to Carl for refurbishment and the other I did NOT.  I put the SAC ROM in one and he, the other. 

The one I did NOT have refurbished will periodically do the "power on, boot then blank thing". I recently had it happening again and opened the unit up and removed and reseated all ribbon connectors and the header that Frank talks about above and now the unit it operating great.  Something in there is really picky about oxidation or corrosion.  In any case, it's worth opening up mafunctioning units and at least trying to reseat all connectors.

I've also had an internal fuse pop a few times and replaced it for restored functionality.

They're WAY past their prime and into the "gravy years" of operation IMHO, but I'm hoping to replace them with either the Avid Artist Mix or MAYbe the X-Touch, if I can get over all the unused, or tedious to use extra buttons and how to gang at least two maybe three together.

The Artist Mix looks most appealing in that sense, but apparently isn't directly Mackie HUI or MCU compatible...

J

mattseymour

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 05:01:47 AM »

I used the X-touch for the first time last night and was nice to work with. Chiefly it did just work. I found it ergonomically pleasant, yes there's a lot of extra buttons, but they don't actually cause a problem other than space. I had a BCF as well and the difference between the two is huge. I still think there's a place for the BCF, what with it's programmability, but the X-touch is really a different class of product.

If you can manage without the scribble strips, I reckon the X-touch compact will be a really good option.

RBIngraham

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »

Thanks for the update.  Yeah I think the Compact is probably going on my wish list.  I'll sacrifice the scribble strip for less wasted space and worthless buttons.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 11:06:01 AM »

Those buttons might not be as worthless as you might think.  I initially thought they would be mostly useless, but having direct mix access, direct view group access, and scene up/down/go buttons nearby gets to be pretty handy..  And of course the scribble strips!

I think at some point we will need to find a place that can make templates that can fig right over the controller, and identify stuff a bit better.

Bob

RBIngraham

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 01:15:06 PM »

I do see the usefulness of all the buttons....  once.  By which I mean I wouldn't mind having the buttons but most days I'm going to use at a minimum 2, more often than not 3 of those surfaces.  And occasionally I've used 4 BCF units.  Since these units have 9 faders instead of 8 there is probably even less chance I would need more than 3.  But you never know.

So if I have 3 or 4 of those things... that's a lot of extra buttons and wasted space.  Sure I could use one of the main units and hook up the compacts for extra faders.  However then you still only have scribble strips on one set of faders and the area consumed by the surface becomes an odd shape as well.

So I figured might as well just not waste the space and with 3 or 4 of the compacts you still have plenty of extra buttons and some extra knobs beyond just the typical fader with mute, solo and select.
Pages: [1] 2 3